The holidays are supposed to be a happy time of year, but they can also be quite stressful as well. Here are 10 tips to help cope with stress or depression brought on by the holiday season.
- Be Real - Set realistic goals and don't try to do too much.
- Exercise - the holidays can often mean unhealthy eating or more alcohol consumption than usual, be sure to do 30 minutes of exercise a day to balance.
- Make a List and Check it Twice - Make a list (or two) and cross things out when you finish them.
- Drink and Be Merry... in moderation - Curb your drinking this holiday season, alcohol can act as a depressant!
- Start a Tradition - The holidays are all about traditions, start a new one this year.
- Spirit of the Season - Volunteer during the holidays to help those less fortunate.
- Me Time - Don't forget to take some me for yourself.
- Reconnect - The holidays are a great time to reconnect with those you've fallen out of touch with.
- Share the Load - Don't forget to ask your friends and family for help, don't try to do it all yourself.
- Laugh a Little - A little laughter goes a long way - see a comedy, tell a joke or take a moment to see the humor of the situation this holiday season.
- Read more about Stress reduction during the holidays at the Mayo Clinic website